Monday, November 08, 2004

How does one measure the Gap?

This statement from Thomas Barnett's blog on 11/4/2004 after he read "A Blue City (Disconsolate, Even) Bewildered by a Red America, By Joseph Berger, New York Times, Published: November 4, 2004" is extremely interesting:

http://www.thomaspmbarnett.com/weblog/

Then again, that's much my sense of living on the East Coast for the last two decades. Reading that piece about how Manhattanites are confounded by the election reminds me of why I'd gladly live in the Midwest even as I worked primarily on the coasts: people on the coasts are often people on the fringes of everything I readily hold dear, and their arrogance about the "little minds" living in the middle is just too galling for words.

In my view he seems to be saying that those East Coasters, with their absurd values and content flows, should leave the Midwesterner's alone to live as their current value system dictates.

Below I will edit the above quote to introduce some other language that is consistent with the ideas he expresses in his book "The Pentagon's New Map" - a book with a view for which I have a tremendous amount of respect. The purpose for this alteration is simple. To make evident that our country has its own Gaps, which like the middle east, are created by a resistance to change one's fundamental beliefs.

Then again, that's much my sense of living in the Core. Reading the many articles by Americans who are confounded by our values reminds me of why I'd gladly live in the Gap. People in the core are often people on the fringes of everything I readily hold dear, and their arrogance about the "little minds" living in the Gap is just too galling for words.

Obviously, in the instance above I would attribute the comment to one of the many fundamentalist in the middle east.

In my opinion, if this election showed me anything, it is that one part of America is digging in against the change being introduced from the other America. I have no way of knowing how to disperse this red and blue fog in America's case but my greatest surprise came with his response to this obvious American Gap. It seems that Gaps need to be fixed unless one happens to live in one.